Pages

Friday, March 6, 2009

food for thought

I don't like restaurants.

I love eating, but I don't like restaurants. Partly because they're expensive and I'm slowly running out of money; partly because they make me strangely anxious. I would much rather be in the comfort of my own home, where we can eat, then sit and chat for however long we feel like it. That applies to fast food as well. And birthday celebrations.

I used to think that I liked going out to dinner, especially if I got to get dressed up. I don't. I love eating at home, wearing jeans and some comfortable worn-in top that doesn't cling to every curve or need to be pulled up repeatedly. Plus, I always spill, and I feel much less guilty about spilling on jeans than on my silk dress that I bought in France.

Restaurants stress me out. So many people running around, plus you feel a lot of pressure to make the dinner event as a whole great, because you're paying for the food and the ambiance and you're spending time with this other person, so you better make it good. But I promise a much better conversation if we eat at home. I feel more secure at home, which means I feel more secure with whoever I'm eating with, which means that conversation is bound to be good. Plus, we can pick the soundtrack. And, doing the dishes is oddly relaxing for me.


Is that okay? I'm much more of a home-body than I ever recognized.
So come over. We'll cook, eat, and we can hang out while the water runs and the mess slowly disappears. It'll be great. I promise.

No comments: