
It's weird that Valentine's Day makes us think so much about love. Not so much about love, more like love in it's Hallmark form: Who loves me enough to send me chocolate and flowers? Because that is obviously the epitome of love.
But it's almost Valentine's Day, and thus, every girl's mind is spinning, wondering if the newest crush will bear any fruit this year, if finally this year is the year that we have a Valentine. I'm guilty of this--and please don't pretend like you aren't also. It's okay--crushes are fun, flowers are great, chocolate is the best. We want to feel that spark, those butterflies, that feeling of being loved.
It's not that I want love just for the sake of having a Valentine or whatever cliche things come along with "love," it's just this love thing, not even romantic love--if you really experience it--it's amazing; it's redemptive and powerful; listening to stories about true love gives me chills and inspires me; it's God's greatest gift, and it's all that He is. No wonder we are all searching for it. No wonder we all long for it so badly. The amazing thing is that when we find love with one another, we find a piece of the heart of God. And that is Truth, even if you don't believe in God. But it's not a Valentine's Day thing. It's not even a boyfriend/girlfriend thing. It's just a life thing. What if we really understood what love was? That it wasn't about making ourselves feel good or about getting presents and fancy jewelry and dates...it's about so much more than that--it's about the heart of the Father.
Am I the only one that feels more lovey-dovey on Valentine's Day, even in my singledom? It's like the whole world, for one day, wants, if not to be in love, then, to BE love. If only every day could be Valentine's Day.
The ability to love is such a gift from God...if only that's where we sought to find love, if only that were where we found our identity. If only we acted out of His love and His heart every day, not just one day of the year (well, two, counting Christmas).
I vote that we reclaim Valentine's Day--Let's not glorify St. Valentine--he didn't invent love...it's not about getting chocolates or Harry Potter Valentines (even though I kind of want those....)...it's about Love. I mean, Love as God Loves kind of love. It might be so much easier to send a bouquet of roses, but Love, I mean real Love is waaaaaaay better than a bouquet...but it's also way harder. Love, I'm learning, means taking risks, being vulnerable, being open and honest; it means stepping outside of ourselves into something bigger and something greater--it's eternally satisfying, and it doesn't just come around once a year.
Eventually, there will be a person that gives you the sparks and the butterflies, but you don't have to wait for Valentine's Day or for that one person to find Love. It's already there...it's just waiting for you.
3 comments:
This month's quote (according to my calendar) is, "At first glance, I loved you with a thousand hearts"--every time I look at it,aside from its cheesiness, I think to myself..dang, if only someone said those words to me...AND then I look outside and realize the He does...everyday...without fail! It's going to be a good Valentine's Day...I can feel it! This one's probably my favorite one yet kar...keep up the great writing! I love you!
Kara Lee, everytime I read this I get something new out of it. It was really good to read (Even after v-day) and remember that I'm loved even now. This was definitely my favorite right now. You're absolutely brilliant.
write more.
love you!
oh and p.s. "The amazing thing is that when we find love with one another, we find a piece of the heart of God."
.....
that is incredible. that's the kind of thing that people quote you saying later in a speech or in life. i love your mind.
Post a Comment