Pages

Sunday, February 3, 2008

lullaby


Bedtime is, by far, my favorite time of the day. Living at school with my three roommates, we usually hang out and watch tv, eat and talk about our days, then we retreat in pairs into our own bedrooms. We just recently rearranged our room, so it feels even more like home than ever. We get all cozied up and crawl into bed, like we're going to sleep, but that's never really how it happens.

My roommate is a science major, so she usually has a physics book or a biology lab manual in bed with her--she is actually taking classes towards a major (like hard classes), so she really has to work. I, on the other hand, have no major and no intent to declare anytime soon. I'm also surprisingly talkative at night, so I slowly coerce her into talking with me about any and everything.

We talk about boys like we're in the 7th grade--which is great because we weren't friends in 7th grade, so we're really just making up for lost time. We laugh so much and tell the ridiculous stories of our daily lives--the creepo guys who sit next to us in class...our crazy professors...how good lunch at the caf was today....what major I'm thinking about today...

But it always comes back to the same thing--we talk about our futures, our dreams, our fears, what excites us and what scares the crap out of us...we've laughed together (so much), we've cried together, we've missed home together, we've talked about God, challenged each other, prayed together, we have and continue to experience the best, and worst parts of life together. We've annoyed each other, though we'd never admit it. We've lived together and we even still like each other. It's amazing.

She even just told me that if my husband left me at Big Bear because he thought I was a lesbian, she would totally come get me. (My Fair Brady reference...) Now that is friendship.

The best thing is that we're never fake with each other because this is real and life is real and everything we're feeling is real, so we have to be real, too.

signing off, karagirl.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

kara.. I love your writing so so much. It makes everything in life seem so much more beautiful and valuable...I can't wait for bedtime!! (especially after church tonight..yess!!)

Libby Ashley said...

I love that you say that friendship is real and vulnerable and beautiful and funny and enjoyable and honest and annoying all at the same time. This is for sure an entry in our book.