Pages

Friday, February 20, 2009

one of those nights...

It's one of those nights that evolved itself into something beautiful.

It was supposed to be a homework night. A sit in my room and type essay question after essay question about theology and marriage and books that I haven't quite gotten around to night. But these friends of mine came knockin' and now, here we sit on the big comfy couches in the lounge, listening to Bon Iver, debating pronunciation and talking about imaginary friends.

"I had two imaginary friends when I was growing up. They were called Bob and Dolphin."
Laughter. Intrigued, we asked questions.
"No, they were both humans. And they played games with me."
Laughter.

And then the stories came, with intermittent fits of laughter, echoing through the high-ceilinged room.

"My imaginary cat friend's name was Mr. Pickens."
Obviously, more questions.
"I don't know, we played by the window a lot."

Story after story after story.
And just like the evening, conversation evolved. I love that about these nights.
Lent. Sea-kittens (or for normal humans: fish, aptly renamed by PETA). Aristotle and anthropocentrism.

"No, but they weren't like my real friends, like my intimate friends."
"Oh, like Bob and Dolphin?"
"NO! I'm talking about my real friends, my stuffed animal friends."
"I clearly remember the day Bear lost an eye."

How do people even exist? We are SO weird.

No comments: