well, it's day one of the blog challenge. libby has yet to post her challenge, so i'm feeling a bit ahead of the game.
when libby told me that i would be writing a blog about the words "bring it on," she told me to run with that theme, to do whatever i want with it. i feel like it would be so easy to make this post all deep and introspective, about facing challenges and being brave and blah blah blah. that stuff is all important, i know. but i don't want to overlook something just as important, even if it does make me look shallow and stupid.
bring it on--the movie that changed the world.
of course, kirsten dunst and eliza dushku can't take all of the credit. they're two of many cheerleaders in this epic series. we can't forget about hayden panettiere and solange knowles in bring it on: all or nothing, or ashley tisdale in bring it on: in it to win it...and the latest addition, out this year, bring it on: fight to the finish, with the ever-talented christina milian playing a fiesty latina cheerleader from east la.
how could we have known, when production began in the late 90s, that director peyton reed had so much to offer the world of the thirteen year old girl? what girl didn't have the secret dream of joining an award winning cheerleading squad, sparkles in hair, televised on national television? (in case you think i'm being sarcastic...i'm not. this was/maybe still is my secret dream...) i mean, honestly, no wonder this film was voted #30 on Entertainment Weekly's 50 Best High School Movies. I couldn't agree more.
and nearly a decade later, we're still talking about it, watching it, quoting it. just the other day, i found myself singing "torrance, can't stand your cheerleading squad but i love your pom-poms, i'd feed you bon-bons all night..." (so romantic...) and i can't even remember the last time somebody used the word "burr," without an accompanying "it's cold in here!!" and sadly, sometimes, when i think of ethics or justice, of doing the right think, i imagine torrance in the living room of her house, pleading with her dad to donate money to the east compton clovers so that they can compete in the semi-finals...she storms off, saying, "do the right thing, dad." i'll never forget it. so powerful.
gosh, i wish i could write about having a "bring it on" attitude towards this year--towards challenges that will come up, towards struggles and exciting things, towards life--but i'll let the words of kirsten dunst speak for me: [to the clovers] "bring it on."
it's been brought, and we've never been the same.
3 comments:
This is brilliance. And I can safely say I've never been the same since I watched that movie.
I'm pretty sure it's what inspired me to become the cheerleader I was in high school.
Here's to Bring it On [and Heroes] ... Save the Cheerleader, Save the World.
I've actually seen this movie more times then I'm comfortable with.
Kristen Dunst has a real goofy-toothed energy in this movie.
I could not be happier that this is the route that you chose. I was secretly hoping that you'd talk about my favorite movie of all time. And you're absolutely correct, never has there ever been a time since that movie came out (which, btw, a decade ago? i can't believe that. we're getting so old) that "brrr" was not followed up by "It's cold in here! I said there must be some torro's in the ATMOSPHERE. I said oh-ey-oh-ey-oh, ice, ice, ice BREAK IT DOWN."
oh, wait, am i the only one that takes it that far every time?
Post a Comment