I am currently 20 years old, single, no prospects of marriage on the horizon, and, I am a hopeless romantic. I believe deeply in the power of love, in its redeeming nature; I see love in everything, I live for a good love story, weddings, love songs. I can hardly contain my excitement when the topic of love appears.
I love Love, and everybody knows it. Even though this is such a big part of me, this is such a defining characteristic, I have always thought that me being so utterly romantic was a semi-negative trait...that the idea of romance was so prevalent in my mind that it gave me false hope or lofty expectations; it was unrealistic and planted dreams in my mind that were practically unattainable. In the back of my mind came the "reminder" that this obsession with love can only bring heartache, that this love cannot be mine.
But I have a new idea, I've just had a revelation. I was made for romance. I was made to love, and I love to be loved. And I am constantly reminded that there is a Love story bigger than man and woman, bigger than stories of first kisses and falling in love. And it is my story. I was made romantic because the God of Creation chases after me with an unfailing love. This story is worthy of awe. The intricate details of our salvation, from our conception to eternity, points to the love that follows us, that we cannot escape. The Blood of Jesus has become the mark of romance in our lives.
Even in the midst of pain, it is a love story. Jesus is constantly calling us to Him, as the Bridegroom waits for his bride, so too does Jesus wait for us, He desires us, He longs for us. Even as we come out of the darkness, there He waits to renew our hearts, to give us a robe dipped in His precious blood. It's all done out of love.
Nothing has ever sounded so sweet. Nothing compares. No love letter, no flowers, no song, no vows. Nothing can compare to this love. He is the Rider on the White Horse, the bringer of justice, strong and mighty, the Ruler of Heaven and Earth. Through him we have life, through Him we overcome. His love is the purpose of salvation, the joy of eternity. It was His love that brought us into existence, that we might know and love Him in return.
I imagine that the first time I say "I love you" to somebody, and genuinely mean it with all of my heart, I'll cry. Love is that big, love is that important to me. And, in the same way, every time that I feel the love of God wash over me, my world stops, my heart swells and I cannot stop the tears that come to my eyes. I am a part of this beautiful love; this beautiful love is mine.
I don't have a clear picture of what love between a man and a woman truly looks like. I've seen glimpses, and have hope for what it will look like in my life. I dream about my wedding, and falling in love, and growing old with my husband by my side after a lifetime of adventure. For now, it stays in my imagination, as I wait for earthly love to find me. But, I know what the love of Jesus looks like in my life, now and forever. It's not just amazing--it's fantastic and dazzling. It's unbelievable. It is the reason that my heart beats, my hope for tomorrow, the goal of my life on earth.
Now I know why I love love, why I love weddings, why my heart longs for love. It has never been more clear to me that I dream about love on earth as a reflection of the love of my Jesus. I have been created as a creature who clings to a good love story so that I can learn to cling to Jesus...my obsession has a purpose, a solid and beautiful purpose. And I love it.
No comments:
Post a Comment